Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Power of a Smile



According to an article on longevity.about.com, here are some of top ten reasons to smile:

1. Smiling makes us attractive.

2. Smiling changes our mood.

3. Smiling is contagious.

4. Smiling relieves stress.

5. Smiling boosts your immune system (possibly by relaxing you)

6. Smiling lowers your blood pressure.

7. Smiling releases natural endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin.

8. Smiling lifts the face and makes you look younger.

9. Smiling makes you more successful. (Rational: smiling people appear more confident, are easier to approach, and are more likely to be promoted.)

10. Smiling helps you stay positive. (Test it: Smile. Now continue to smile & try to think of something negative without loosing your smile. It was harder that I thought. Your body is sending you the "Life is good" message while you attempt to worry.)

What stood out to me? Happy feelings can follow your smile! Not just the other way around. I've heard this so many times before, but it's so easy for me to get mixed up and think "When I'm not so stressed or when I'm having fun, then I'll smile. I have so much to do right now." Maybe smiling a little extra  would help take down those stress levels. Maybe choosing to smile would remind me how much fun I am having, even when surrounded with deadlines. There's so many benefits of smiling. Maybe they could even be contagious  Hmmmmm. . . . I have a  new theory to test for  for finals week.


No comments:

Post a Comment